Thursday, April 7, 2011

Secret #3

All my life I have been only too aware of my limitations. It often
feels like all I know is that some things will never be enough.

There is never enough time.
Never enough money.
I don't have enough strength or energy.
Not enough patience with my kids.
Not enough knowledge, wisdom, or experience.
Determination, ambition, talent, creativity.
The list felt like the only thing that was limitless......

Then a new thought came to me one day... one I can't really take
credit for. I realized that there is one thing that I have in
abundance and truly there is a never ending supply if I can learn to
tap into it. It may sound cheesy but I was extremely comforted by the
thought of endless unconditional Love. The one thing I can give. More
and More. The one thing I can give no matter what to anyone without
pulling myself down, running myself into the ground, or hurting anyone
else around me. (Of course that only works if we have great boundaries
because as I have learned in my life some people are best loved from a
distance.) That said I think I finally am beginning to understand what
it means to "lose yourself in the service of others" not to try to do
so much that I truly end up losing myself and going crazy, but to lose
my self-centered way of thinking and instead focus on all the
possibilities that can happen through love.

Call it what you like but for those of us feeling inadequate and warn
down at least we have one thing going for us. Real, True, Christ-like
Charity. Just a thought.

Anonymous

3 comments:

  1. After reading this I had to make a comment. Especially since the woman who wrote this in my eyes has absolutely no flaws.:)I frequently have similar feelings as I am sure most human beings do. I always feel tied down by limitations. And it seems like the harder I try to overcome my weaknesses the harder it becomes to do so. But I love the perspective she gave. Such a simple approach to trying to make life more meaningful and beautiful. So thank you. As I wrote my goals for 2011 and have been reviewing them often to see my progress I always get to the "love and serve everybody more without expecting reciprocation" and I shudder at my lack of progress. But this post has reminded me that in the midst of all the chaos that is really all that is mine to give endlessly and without condition. So thank you! That's just what I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Thank you so much for a great topic to ponder. I'm so inspired by this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh boy... can I relate to this post?.. I think any mother can relate to this post. Since becoming a mother nearly 2 1/2 years ago I have gone through the extremes of self doubt. But, really in the end, my love is the best that I can give. I love where she states, that sometimes it can be from a distance. I have had to learn that the hard way with a few people!

    ReplyDelete